Smothered Pork Chops by Paula Dean

Tonight for dinner we had smothered pork chops. One of our FREEZER meals we tried for the first time. I can't say I LOVE it, but I can't say that I don't either. It was good, but got better after you had it. Does that make sense? After the first initial bite, I almost didn't want anymore, than after a few minutes I wanted more and it tasted better. Weird, I know, but try it if you're a pork fan or not. It was easy and fed a whole family with leftovers. Just add a salad, maybe some applesauce for the kids, and dinner is served. Here is the recipe and a picture. Enjoy!
Smothered Pork Chops
Tblsp butter
1 1/2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
1 onion diced
3 cups chicken broth
1 Tblsp crushed dried rosemary
1 tsp ground sage
1 tsp salt
4 (8-ounce) pork shoulder chops
2 Tblsp Paula Dean House Seasoning (we didn't have this, but they sell it at Target. I would recomend using it because I think the dish would taste better)

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with Pam Spray.
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add rice and onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, or until rice is browned and onion is tender. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan, combine broth, rosemary, sage, and salt; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in rice mixture; cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for 15 minutes.
Sprinkle pork chops evenly with House Seasoning.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook pork chops for 2 minutes per side, or until browned. Place in prepared baking dish. Spoon rice mixture evenly over pork chops. FREEZE or cover tightly with heavy duty aluminum foil, and bake for 45 mins. (Defrost completely before you bake if planning to freeze this meal)

Comments

Popular Posts