This has to be the MOST fabulous, MOST taste worthy Mac-N-Cheese ever!!!! When my husband had it for dinner the other night he said "This is Vegas Style Good!". The best compliment ever since we love to go to Vegas and eat at the best restaurants out there. So with that compliment, mama had to share this recipe with all of you!!!! The best thing about this recipe is you can adapt it to your family's taste. If you like it full of flavor and a little kick, you add more flavor to it. If your kids are picky eaters, then leave it bland. I quadrupled this recipe for a client of mine and could see me doing it again and freezing several 9x13 disposable pans for later. Try this recipe!!!!
Mac&Cheese From Scratch (Found at Intentional By Grace)
- 1 pound freshly cooked pasta (we like to try fun shapes!)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups cold milk
- 10 ounces of shredded cheese (we use cheddar)
- herbs and spices (we like a pinch of nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon of mustard powder)
- 6 slices prosciutto (optional)
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook the butter until it starts to foam; then whisk in the flour. Continue whisking until the mixture turns golden-brown and smells “cooked”.
- Whisk in a few ounces of the cold milk, until there are no lumps. Keep adding and whisking until all the milk is added.
- Simmer on medium-low, whisking often, until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (about 5-10 minutes), then remove from heat.
- Add the cheese by handfuls and whisk until each addition is melted. Taste, and add any salt, pepper or seasonings. (I added Garlic Salt, LOTS of sea salt and black coarse pepper, dash of red pepper, a little onion powder...you name, you add it! It's your call.)
- Stir the sauce into cooked pasta and add chopped prosciutto, or any other additions.