Sinful Caramel Brownies
This is the picture of the brownies I created from a recipe I found online the other day. And can I just tell you Oh My Goodness!!!! These were sinful! I say sinful because I sinned, licking the entire pot and then sampling a few...and I have been good for quite some time on the sweet tooth wheel! Below is the recipe and PLEASE make these ASAP, preferably NOT when your kids nor your spouse or anyone you love is near you! You will NOT want to share...you WILL want to eat it ALL...and then some! On top of the energizing taste, the clean up is a breeze!
- 1 1/2 cups (3/4 lb.) butter
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 14 ounces (40 to 50) square caramel candies such as Kraft or See's, unwrapped
- 1. In a 3- to 4-quart pan over medium-high heat, melt butter, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 2. Stir in sugar, then eggs and vanilla, until blended. Stir in salt and baking powder. Add flour and cocoa and stir until batter is smooth.
- 3. Butter a 12- by 20-inch piece of foil. Line a 9- by 13-inch pan with foil, buttered side up, letting foil hang over pan ends. Scrape batter into pan. Evenly space caramels over batter.
- 4. Bake brownies in a 325° oven just until a toothpick inserted in the center (not in a caramel) comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes. Let cool.
- 5. Lift brownies with foil from pan to a counter. Peel back sides of foil. With a long, hot knife, cut between caramels into 35 squares; occasionally rinse knife in very hot water and wipe clean.
- Chris Schaefer, Everett, WA, Sunset
- FEBRUARY 2005