I, Paul Dictos...


Today my father was sworn into the Fresno County Office as Assessor Recorder. This was a big day for my dad as he has been running for public office for a few years and hasn't won as many as he would have liked. My dad sure does like to run for public office.  When I was going through school he always made me run for office, not just any office, but for class president. He would get so excited, making my signs, coming up with slogans, buying me the best candy to pass out. One year he even made professional buttons, Vote for Nina.  Those of you who know me know that I ran 7 times, and 7 times I lost.  It became comical, but I kept running every year for my dad.  And I saw this excitement today as I stood with my dad holding a bible he brought to be sworn into office with.  As I stood there between the officiator and my dad, I could feel how proud he was to have finally won and earn such respect and support from his colleagues.  After he was done, he shared with the crowd, mostly his friends and supporters, how the Bible he brought today was in honor of his wife who could not be there physically because of her Alzheimer's. And he shared how she used to read this Bible daily and if you turned the pages you could see her notes. And even though my dad wished his wife could be holding that Bible, he gave honor and praise the God who sustains him and strengthens him every day. I am so proud to call this man my dad. He is my hero not only because of his love for the Lord and his continued support for me and my family, but for the man of integrity and honor that he is.  Even though he couldn't have Stella standing right next to him today, he had her right next to him with her Bible, the one she would always read, the one she would always share with us children growing up; making us memorize scripture. I love my parents for the example of Christ they have always been to us and the love they have for both each other and the Lord. I pray that I am half as good a mother my mom has been and still is to me. Goodnight Honorable Paul Dictos...love you more!

Comments

Regina A. said…
That was beautiful, thank you for sharing such a special moment!--
Unknown said…
Nina, good post mama. Proud of you. xoxo
Sara said…
I saw you on the news with your dad- you looked so proud! (and your sissy with the camera right?). Love the lesson of perseverance here- and your sweet words about your mama.

Popular Posts