It's Been A While...



It's been a while since the last time I had a chance to sit and reminisce on the day, the moment, the minute when life becomes clearer.  Since the last time I wrote, I think I got a full time job, still working at the JC College in town, throwing and planning parties, and baking for whomever requests. Oh, I still have my four kids and the hubs...they are a constant. But today, today was one of those days when the week of too many job requirements, kid's activities, the hubs starting basketball season, and a couple of events and goodies to full-fill made it almost feel as an impossible moment. But as it always happens, everything gets done, everyone is happy, and a new week begins. I had a school dance, a district canned food drive to plan, promote, and show up and work at event, a dinner party to set up, a 144 cookie order to full fill, and a soccer party to attend, all while the hubs participated in the Hanford tournament...needless to say, I was overbooked. But I digress, today was one of those days that made me stop and appreciate a moment, a minute that will last forever. My mom's best friend Popi, my best friend Anna, and my sissy all came together to bake baklava, melomakarina, and gadaifi. All Greek deliciousness that Popi and mom would create every Christmas. And today in my kitchen we kept the tradition alive. My mother would never go to any party during December without a plate of baklava. It was her thing, her way of making everyone feel loved and appreciated. And today, in my kitchen, minus my mother, we kept her tradition alive. Popi even brought my mom's handwritten recipe for my beloved melomakarina. Words cannot express the joy I felt reading her handwriting as she shared her recipe with Popi. Our afternoon was filled with laughter, drinks, and memories that will never be far from my heart. These are the minutes in life that make everything seem so ridiculous, so irrelevant.  So after 5 trays of baklava, two trays of melomakarina, and a tray of gadaifi and a few too many drinks, we hugged and kissed farewell and pass out baklava to all our dear friends. Merry Christmas...
Photo
The tradition...love these two to pieces.

Comments

Popular Posts