Family Recipes-Chicken Casserole

So tonight my sister reminded me of a family cookbook that our aunt gave to us at our Wedding...10 years ago...and as I thumbed through the pages I was reminded of some great family recipes my mom would make as well as family members. So tonight I thought I would share some good old fashion dinner recipes that remind me of home. I will try to be good and post weekly, but you know how that goes around here! So tonight I;m sharing Chicken Casserole.  In the memo here it says that Charlotte (the originator of this recipe) serves this would jello salad and thin slices of nut bread. (ha!) Anyways, enjoy!
Chicken Casserole:
1 cube melted margarine (I use butter)
1 1/2 cups sharp cheese, grated
6 cups cubed bread
4 whole cooked chicken breast cubed
2 Tblsp onion flakes
1/2 pound sliced mushrooms (I do without)
1/2 can water chesnuts, sliced
1/2 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp salt
Pepper to taste
6 eggs
5 cups milk
1 pkg frozen peas
1 tomato sliced
Additional grated  cheese

Combine butter, cheese, and bread cubes. Put half in bottom of 9x13 inch casserole. Cover with chicken, onion, mushroom, water chestnut, peas (uncooked), and seasoning. Add remaining bread cubes and more grated cheese on top. Beat eggs and add milk. Pour over casserole and arrange tomato slices on top. Cover with foil and refrigerate one hour or night before. Remove foil and bake at 350 for 45-50 mins. Serves 12-16
Let me know how it goes!

Comments

Popular Posts