Homemade Dishwasher Soap



Well I finally made this homemade dishwasher soap. I think I pinned it a while ago, but you know how those pins go...pin away and one day you'll get to it! Well, it was one of those days when you as a mother HAVE to stay home because one of your children is too sick to send to school-preschool is the only school you can miss around here...FYI. With all that time on my hands and Zoe fast asleep, I took my ingredients and made myself create! And I have to tell you, SUPER easy, a little time consuming, but oh so worth it!My dishes were squeaky clean this morning! Here is what I did. I found a recipe at Lady with a Red Rocker  She is pretty amazing. Here is what the recipe called for:

Homemade Dishwasher Soap
1 cup Borax
1 cup washing soda (ONLY found at Winco)
½ cup *kosher salt (*I used regular table salt, and it worked just fine.)
½ cup *citric acid (double this if you have hard water) (*I used 1 cup Lemishine found next to the rinse aids in the dishwasher-soap isle at Target.)
To Create the pre-measured cubes:
After you mix all the above you have to squirt it with some water, NOT A LOT, or it will fizz up like a volcano and it won't work. Just enough to make your powder mold together.



 I used a top of a salt and pepper shaker for mine because it fit into my dispenser. Measure before-I was lucky the top of the salt shaker was a Tablespoon as well, that's how much you'll need for each one. I used the coffee filters (cut into fourths) and molded them into that just to keep separated when storing it, I didn't put the filter in the dishwasher.
 I let each capsule dry in a mini cupcake pan for about an hour then stored in my old Cascade container from Costco. 
I spent $5.00 on the ingredients, but only used half. I will have to buy more of the citric acid to make 50 more, but other than that it basically cost me $2.50 to make 50 capsules of detergent!!!!  
And instead of Jet Dry I use White Vinegar in the Jet Dry dispenser in your dishwasher. It saves you a bundle as well! Love me some White Vinegar! Enjoy!!!

Comments

Popular Posts