Lady Fingers

Oh my goodness! Do these take me back to childhood in an instant heart beat! WOW! I was shopping at Cost Plus for some fun treats today when I stumbled on these Lady Fingers! Lady Fingers take me back to when I was living on Madison Street downtown off of Belmont! Yes, down there in a not so cute street lived a family in one little home that was the cleanest on the block. It had a porch that was carpeted in green velour type flooring by the lady of the house, a shiny red door, and cute little lace drapes peaking through the window. We had the cutest house on the block...I think it was in the Home Tour of People's Church one year! Anyways, off the subject, back to the Lady Fingers...there I was walking through the isles of Cost Plus, seeing the world through chocolates and desserts, with one kid yelling stop! and the other running behind me with a cart...I was hoping the entire time that he wouldn't-"ouch!"-run into my ankles. There with my throbbing ankles I saw this package labeled Lady Fingers...and instantly there I was in the brick kitchen on Madison Street eating a peach lady finger cake. Mmmm, my mother made it all the time and it was her signature. People always came over for some Lady Finger Peach cake. So I had to purchase these Lady Fingers and try to find the recipe my mother used to create such a memory. After A LOT of googling, I found a recipe closely replicating my mother's cake. The only thing missing is my mother covered the cake in cool whip. I am thinking I can layer this in a bowl, much like death by chocolate, and give it a modern twist! I will be making this over the next few weeks, and when I do, I will blog you! Happy Love month...


Peach Refrigerator Cake

1/2 pound marshmallows
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup ginger ale
1 cup heavy cream, whipped
Sponge cake or lady fingers
6-8 peaches, sliced
1/2 cup chopped crystallized ginger
Cut marshmallows in quarters, add to orange juice and stir over hot water until almost melted; cool slightly and add ginger ale.  When slightly thickened fold in 3/4 cup whipped cream. Line a spring form pan with waxed paper.  Arrange layer of cake or ladyfingers on bottom, next a layer of peaches, then layer of marshmallows; repeat until there are 3 layers of cake and 2 of filling.  Chill in refrigerator overnight.  Unmold; garnish with remaining peaches and cream and ginger.

Comments

Popular Posts