Slow Cooker Sesame Seed Chicken
Image from Family Fresh Meals
Tonight's meal was a new one! Sesame Seed Chicken in the crockpot from Family Fresh Meals. My kids don't like sesame seeds, so I did not include them, but I followed the recipe up to the seed part. I even made it a bit more fun and less work for me, by picking up some steamed rice and some fried rice from Panda Express on the way home. They gave me some chopsticks and extra fortune cookies and we made it quite a mulit-cultural night learning about Chinese ways of eating! It was great! Fun, cheap, family night!!! Enjoy!!!!
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup honey
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup diced onion
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 3 Tablespoons water
- Sesame seeds
- Start by seasoning chicken lightly with salt and pepper and place into crock pot.
- In a bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, oil, garlic and pepper flakes.
- Pour over chicken.
- Cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or on HIGH 3-4 hours,
- or just until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from crock pot with a slotted spoon, leaving sauce behind.
- Dissolve 4 teaspoons of cornstarch in 6 tablespoons of water and pour into crock pot.
- Stir to combine with sauce. Replace lid and cook sauce on HIGH for ten more minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Shred chicken with two forks and then return to pot and toss with sauce before serving.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve over rice, quinoa, noodles or MY favorite, spinach!