My Loves


Tonight I was with my mother so my dad could go to the retirement celebration of President John Weltey of Fresno State. We sat together and I just stared into her face thinking of how much I love her. And as I watch her struggle to do much of anything, she always smiles in the midst of what is happening to her. When it was time for bed I got her into her wheelchair and I slowly pushed her along the marble tiles of her kitchen and into her living room. I purposely went slow, pointing out how beautiful her house is. As we neared the doorway of the hallway, I picked up a picture frame of my dad and my brother. It was his 8th grade graduation and we had just gotten home. My dad is posing proudly with my brother, pointing at his many medals that hung around Jason's neck. I showed my mother and in her clearest Greek, which we hardly hear anymore, she eloquently spoke these words, "My Loves". I was so astonished to hear her say anything at all, let alone something so powerful. My eyes filled with tears and I hugged her and realized how strong love is. That even though the mind is unable to function, the heart still speaks so deeply. These are her loves, her son and her husband. And whatever triggered that memory tonight, whatever gave her the power to speak her heart, my mother is still here with us; hidden in the depth of this disease. My love, my heart, my mother.

Comments

Anonymous said…


hi Nina mou i just read your heart-touching words, just beautiful. want you to know that i am thinking and praying for you guys. Your mum would be sooo proud of you - you are an amazing gall!
love ya
xxxxxx0000000xxxxx000000xxxxx0000000
lois said…


hi Nina mou i just read your heart-touching words, just beautiful. want you to know that i am thinking and praying for you guys. Your mum would be sooo proud of you - you are an amazing gall!
love ya
xxxxxx0000000xxxxx000000xxxxx0000000
The "J" Crew said…
Love you to pieces Lois mou!
Anonymous said…
You should take part in a contest for one of the finest blogs online.
I am going to highly recommend this website!



Here is my weblog; www.layerzonderdrempels.nl
How sweet It is said…
Beautiful memory Nina! Brought tears to my eyes. So grateful for these sweet moments you get to have with her. Love you!

Popular Posts