Vegan Lemon Bars


This week is a busy one for me! I've got two events and one cookie order all by Friday or BUST! So, I'm embracing it and sharing one of my new favorite recipes found in Chloe's Vegan Desserts cookbook. She's adorable and her vegan desserts actually taste fabulous! I am not a HUGE fan of fruity desserts, but this one sure satisfied my tastebuds...even a friend of mine who is a HUGE fan of lemon bars, enjoyed this one to the very last bite! Here is her recipe and the picture above are of the ones I made...I must say that the all natural food coloring made them look a bit orange, so note to self, get a good all natural food coloring or skip it all together! 
SHORTBREAD CRUST:
1/2 cup vegan margarine (found it at Trader Joe's and Lassen's)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar (I used all natural cane)
1/4 teaspoon salt

FILLING:
1 cup soy, almond, or rice milk divided (I used almond)
6 Tblsp cornstarch
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup lemon juice
2 Tblsp lemon zest 
Natural food coloing optional

Powdered Sugar for serving

To make shortbread crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8-inch square pan and line with parchment paper long enough to overhang the edges. Lightly grease the parchment paper.

In a food processor, pulse margarine, flour, sugar, salt, until crumbly. Press into the prepared pan. Bake for 18 mins. Remove from oven and let cool.

To make the filing: In a small bowl, whisk 1/2 cup nondairy milk, cornstarch, and flour until completely smooth. Set side.
In a medium saucepan, combine remaining 1/2 cup milk, sugar, and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and slowly whisk in cornstarch mixture. Continue to cook, whisking continuously, for about 5 mins until very thick, like pudding. Remove from heat and stir in lemon zest and food coloring if using. 

To make lemon bars: Pour the filling over the crust and bake for 15mins. Let cool, then chill in refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight. Once chilled and set, lift parchment paper to release the bars from the pan and unmold. Using a sharp knife, cut into 2 inch squares and dust with powdered sugar.

Chloe's Vegan Desserts by Chloe Coscarelli

Enjoy!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey, Jonesy! Excited to find this recipe for dil who's egg allergic, but should there be some (maybe a lot?) of sugar in the filling? Please excuse me if I've just overlooked it somehow. I'm "anonymous" only because I can't figure out who I am otherwise. ;( thanks!

Popular Posts