I'm Not...

I'm not the parent that gets to brag about their kids grades or how many academic awards they receive on a daily basis. I'm not the parent who has those perfectly behaved children, dressed in perfectly matching clothes, perfectly gelled hair, and sparkling whites. I'm not the parent who has the highest achieving children in gymnastics, dance, basketball, soccer, wrestling, and swimming. I am the parent who THOUGHT I would BE that kind of parent. But after four children, 2 in public education, and all 4 in multiple activities, I have been brought to my knees. My kids are teaching me that I am NOT perfect. (REALLY shocked with this one!) They are teaching me humbleness. Deep, deep, humbleness. This past Tuesday, when my 4 1/2 year old son asked "Mom, why didn't they call my name yet?" when both his cousin and friend's names were called to make a swimming team, a little piece in me died. How do you tell him he wasn't good enough? Oh my sweet, sweet boy. Those of you who know him, know just how sweet he really is and how easy it is to just be broken with that question. "It's okay," I said (as I was crying inside). "Next time you have to try harder. Harder than you did this time!" So today has come and gone, it was a tough one as you can see with my venting. But we need to try harder tomorrow, harder than we did today.

Comments

sophie said…
sissy your the best mommy...love you more!!!!!
Unknown said…
Nina, oh my heart is sad. I have so much to learn everyday. My babies are the best teachers I can have. They teach me how to love, how to cry, how to grieve, how to discipline, how to encourage. Lessons are exhausting. You are a great mom and always intimidate me. Go Nina go!

Popular Posts